Thursday, August 20, 2015

DIY After Sun Care Body Butter

Hi Beauties,

I hope you're all enjoying the last few weeks of summer! I know technically the last day of summer is the 23rd of September, but my kids go back to school in 2 weeks so for us summer ends then!
So far we've had a kick ass summer. Lots of outdoor activities, water parks, and picnics :) We've been outside so much that I actually developed my first sunburn in years. Ouch! My olive skin usually tans but this year I burnt!




So, of course, I headed straight to the kitchen to create a very simple and refreshing concoction to sooth my burnt skin. I found this recipe online a few years back and I've used it on myself and my family whenever we've had too much sun and our skin needed some TLC. This recipe is loaded with powerhouse ingredients such as Aloe Vera, Coconut Oil, and Vitamin E. These all carry a high dosage of antioxidant properties. This body butter will not only treat your sunburn but also help with other skin ailments you may be experiencing ( dry, acne prone, aging). Aloe Vera is highly moisturizing and is used to soothe burnt skin instantly. Coconut oil is the holy grail of skin care repair! It's loaded with antioxidants so I slather CO on my face, body and hair before bed every night! Its moisturizing and seeps into your skin follicles quickly so you reap the benefits of CO faster. Vitamin E oil is used in many skin care lines to block free radicals from the body (bonus!) but here we are using it mostly for its anti-inflammatory benefits which help to calm and hydrate sensitive skin. You can also add essential oils to this recipe and it's your preference on what scent you would like to add. I personally love to use citrus oils. I just love smelling like a citrus fruit :). Go ahead and try this recipe and tell me what you think in the comments below :)




Ingredients


  • 3 Tbsp Shea Butter
  • 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
  • 1 tsp Vitamin E Oil
  • 3 Tbsp Aloe Vera
  • 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil (OR Olive, Jajoba or Almond Oil)
  • 10-15 Drops of Essential oils of choice (optional)
Instructions
  1. Melt coconut oil and shea butter in a double boiler. You can create this by putting the ingredients in a small, glass jar and then placing the jar in a pan of simmering water.
  2. Remove from heat once melted and let the mixture cool until it's opaque (to speed this is you can put it in the fridge, but don't let it become solid.)
  3. Next, add the remaining ingredients and the coconut/shea mix to a stand mixer bowl, and whip until ingredients are well combined, and the mixture is light and fluffy (about 5-10 minutes.) It's finished when the body butter can stick to a spoon when held upsidedown.
  4. Transfer to an a small container or jar and store in a cool place.
( p.s. I dont' recall the source from which I found the recipe)

talk soon,
Maha




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)