Tuesday, February 2, 2016

MY GLITTERY OBSESSIONS : BUDGET BEAUTY

Hi there! I'm so excited to be guest posting on Maha's blog this month! Just as a quick intro, I'm Kristy. I live in BC, and over on my blog I post lots of reviews, as well as makeup tutorials, hauls, and random book videos and tags! I'd love if you came and checked out my blog or youtube channel (after you read this post, of course), and you can find me at myglitteryobsessions.blogspot.ca! Anyways, now that you know a tiny bit about me, let me get into today's post! =)

February's theme is Budget Beauty, so I'm going to share with you my Top 5 favourite drugstore makeup products! In many cases, I prefer to pick higher-end makeup products, but I love these drugstore products as much or more than high-end products I have tried, so I think that says something pretty good about them =P

Feel free to disagree if you've tried any of these products, but hopefully this post can give you some ideas for some new, great products to try out!

1. Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder

stay matte


This is definitely one of my favourite products of all time! I have to have this powder at all times, and I lost count ages ago of how many times i've repurchased this product!If you haven't tried it, I'm sure you've at least heard of it before, as it is pretty widely loved in the beauty comm=unity.

The colour range isn't great, but perhaps the translucent shade would work if your skin is a bit too dark for any of the coloured powders. However, I think everything else about this powder is great. It doesn't have much of a scent, basically just a powder smell, nothing perfume-y. It adds a tiny bit of coverage over foundation and sets foundations down for hours. It doesn't stay perfectly matte all day long in my oiliest areas, but it does last a good long time, and just gets naturally dewy and pretty over the course of the day for me.

2. ELF Acne Fighting Foundation

elf foundation


This is a much more recent favourite of mine, but I still love it. This foundation has quickly jumped to a tie for my top favourite foundation I've ever tried (tied with the Make Up For Ever HD Foundation). This product does have a slight scent because of the acne fighting ingredients such as witch hazel and tea tree, but there is no perfume scent. It's a little medicinal, I suppose, but I really like the scent, personally!

Although I haven't found that this foundation really fights acne, it certainly doesn't break me out. It's also only $6 on the ELF website, so it's probably the best and cheapest foundation I could recommend to anyone! It comes in a good range of shades, I think. I wear the shade Porcelain, which is just pale enough for me, so it might not be good for the palest of pale skin, but it does get pretty fair!

The finish of this foundation is excellent. It has very good medium-full coverage, isn't too matte and drying or dewy and greasy feeling, though I always set it with powder (because I do that with all foundations.)

3. Maybelline Colour Tattoo Cream Eyeshadows

maybelline colour tattoo


Another cult favourite, I'm sure most of you will have tried these but they really are great! There are so many great shades, though I believe most of them ar shimmery or metallic, so if that isn't your thing... sorry!  There are tons of great neutral shades, and colours though, and they're great on their own or as bases for powder shadows! (The two pictured above are Pomegranate Punk and Bad to the Bronze.)

I love to use these as single shadow eye looks, concentraing the pigmentation on the main part of my lid, and then blending it with my finger up above my crease. You can use these with a brush as well, but I do prefer to use fingers. I have never had these crease or smudge on my oily eyelids, which is great, and I totally recommend them if you haven't given them a go yet!

4. Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base

essence


I can't recall seeing anyone online talking about this eyeshadow primer, so I had to include it in this post! I love it so much, it's inexpensive, works great, has a bit of a pigment to it, so it's great at hiding vein-y eyelids, and it lasts all day for me!

There isn't really much else to say about an eyeshadow primer, I guess, but I do want to say that I have tried other, more well-loved on the internet primers, such as the Urban Decay Primer Potion and the ELF Eyeshadow Primers... and this one is just so much better! I find a lot of primers have a weird almost greasy feel to them, and they don't really set, but this one almost acts more like a concealer, and will set down pretty quickly if you leave it alone for a while. I feel like that is why the essence primer clings to shadows and never lets go!

I've even accidentally fallen asleep wearing a bright blue eye shadow over this primer, and woken up the next morning with the shadow still full on my eyes! (Don't try this at home! So bad for your skin! heh...)

5. Maybelline Rocket Volume Express Waterproof Mascara

maybelline rocket


Finally, I have another beloved favourite of mine that I've repurchased again and again! I love Maybelline mascaras in general, they have a lot of great ones, but this one has been a favourite for a while!

This mascara has a fat rubbery brush with separated, stubby, spikey bristles. I didn't think I was going to like the brush originally, but it works really well. It doesn't hurt like hard plastic or rubber bristles sometimes can, and it does a great job at breaking apart any clumps and separating the lashes while also building up good volume.

I'm not sure about the formula of the non-waterproof version, as I'm a huge believer in waterproof mascara. It's all I'll use, because I have oily eyelids, and frequently runny eyes. I can't deal with streaking or smudging, or that horrible tired halo that non-waterproof masxaras give my eyes. Some waterproof mascaras, though, like to get hard and flake off, which is pretty gross too!

In my experience, this mascara doesn't flake or smudge or leave a dark halo on my under eyes. It just sticks, lasts ages, and while it hardens enough to hold a good curl all day, it doesn't stiffen into the rock-hard crust some mascaras do. This mascara is great, and I always have to have on in my collection!


***


So those are my top 5 drugstore makeup favourites! As I mentioned above, feel free to disagree with me in the comments below. Also, please share some of your drugstore favourites; I'd love to try out some more awesome inexpensive products!

Hope you have a great day, and I hope to see you over on my blog soon! Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)