Monday, September 19, 2016

e.l.f. Makeup : 1 Winner + 3 Losers

Several weeks back I bought a few e.l.f products from my local Walmart. I was super excited as the selection was huge! e.l.f. is one of those very affordable brands that has a great line up of products and a good handful of their products I've tried and loved. A few products like this one and this one are a staple in my skincare and makeup routine. 



I picked up the Dark Blush Palette , Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in black, Small Stippling Brush and Instant Lift Brow Pencil in neutral brown. Unfortunately this e.l.f shopping trip wasn't as worthwhile as I had hoped. The title of this posts says it all. 






Let's start with the clear winner! This e.l.f stippling brush is the bomb.com! It's small enough to fit in an average sized makeup bag. It's a classic black colour and has short bristles. It looks very much like a the MAC 130 short stippling brush. I used the e.l.f stippling brush to blend in my NARS creamy concealer on the under eye area. It's small enough to use under the eyes and around the corner of the nose. The bristles are very soft against the skin and I picked up product very easily with it. I also used this brush to apply cream blush. Overall I'm really impressed with the brush considering it was only $5! I haven't washed it yet so I hope after I wash it for the first time it still holds it's shape and the bristles don't fall out. I will be going back to buy another small stippling brush to add to my professional kit as well as trying out some other e.l.f. brushes. I just hope they are as good as this one!






With the assortment of colours available in the  e.l.f Instant Lift Brow pencil and the spooly at the end this product could have been the front-runner for an ABH brow wiz dupe, but unfortunately this product doesn't work very well.  First off the spooly is way to harsh and dense. I used a very light hand and it still felt rough against my skin. I had to apply several strokes of the pencil in the same area to have it show on my skin. The colour didn't last long( 2 hours) on my brows. I started to see it fade on one of my brows while the other one took a half hour longer to fade. I felt the pencil was too waxy therefore not allowing the colour to properly adhere to the brows and skin. I would probably recommend this to brow pencil to anyone who is just starting to experiment with makeup. If you are a seasoned makeup wearer please skip this product as it will frustrate you during application. 


The e.l.f. Waterproof Eyeliner Pen looks very sleek and functional. It's also very deceiving. The tip looks very pointy but it's actually flimsy and bends if you add a bit of pressure to it.My first experience with the pen wasn't the greatest.I had to shake it a few times to have the liquid dispense out of the pen and after 10 minutes of sheer frustration I managed to achieve a so-called line but had it rub off on me an hour into my work day! I may have gotten a defective pen ,to be honest ,but I wasn't going to buy another one. It's not worth the hassle. I'll just stick to this e.l.f.liner instead. I know it works and I love it!


Out of all the products I purchased, I would have to say this blush palette was my biggest disappointment. I had such high expectations since I read all the great reviews on it. I'll start off with the PROS of this palette. The cost, obviously, was very affordable at $7. You receive 4 wearable colours and it comes in a nice sleek black palette that can easily be thrown into a travel case and off you go! This palette will take you from season to season. Here are the CONS of this palette. The colours are wearable but not pigmented enough for my taste. It takes a few swipes of the blush to achieve "enough" colour. The description of the palette says it has matte and shimmer shades but I noticed all the shades have somewhat of a shimmer to them. There isn't true matte shade in the palette. The blush doesn't last long on the skin. I do not have oily skin and about 3 hours in to my work day I needed a touch up. 
Overall this isn't an atrocious, yes I'm being dramatic again, blush palette to have in your makeup bag. However, with the limited space I have and the mass variety of makeup available on the market I have to be picky of what I carry around. 

//swatches of the dark blush palette.3 swipes to achieve this pigmentation//


e.l.f. used to make an amazing HD cream blush that I have bought in the past and would love to repurchase but I can't find it at my local store. If you know where I can buy it, please leave me a comment below!

Happy e.l.f shopping!


DISCLAIMER: I purchased these products with my own money. I was not compensated for my review and my opinions are my own. I am not affiliated with e.l.f cosmetics.











SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)